I’m a big fan of lemon cake and it’s one of my main choices when I’m having cake out (FYI the lemon polenta cake at Carluccio’s is absolutely delicious and beautifully zesty), but considering my love for this type of cake I really don’t make it enough! This needs to be rectified asap and so we’re starting with this scrumptious recipe, which is from Lorraine Pascale’s Fast, Fresh and Easy Food cookbook. I made this cake a few weeks ago when we had a night with our lovely friends. The premise of the night was ‘Guilty Pleasures’ so we watched classic films like Jerry Maguire and Step Up and ate cheese, bread, pastry items, Eton Mess, Dutch Apple Cake, etc. My contribution to this amazing spread was Lorraine Pascal’s Lemon and Lime Poppy Seed Cake, which everyone needs to make in their life. It really is scrumptious, soft, zesty and refreshing. You can’t not love it I promise.
What you’ll need:
125g soft butter
150g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence
150g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 lemon (finely grated)
1 lime (finely grated)
4 tbsp poppy seeds
50g icing sugar
- Grease a loaf tin with butter and parchment paper
- Whisk butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla essence and eggs and beat into the butter and icing mixture
- Add the flour, baking powder, lemon and lime and mix
- Stir the poppy seeds in to the cake mixture
- Pour into the cake tin and pop in the oven.
- Bake on 180⁰C for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile make the icing by mixing a tbsp of lemon juice with the icing sugar until it’s a runny drizzly consistency. (ps. make sure you sift the icing sugar – very important or you’ll get lumps…)
- Once the cake has cooled pour the icing mixture over the cake and EAT!
Enjoy – you’ll literally die over the moistness of this cake!
– Fi xx