Here at CB&E we are embarking on a somewhat new and exciting challenge. We see it as another attempt to try new meals and to stretch our cooking skills, plus we’re hoping it could be quite fun too.
So what are we doing? Well it’s basically like the classic UK TV programme Ready Steady Cook but with a couple of differences. Here’s how it goes….
- The ‘buyer’ chooses a bag of shopping that doesn’t cost more than £5
- The ‘chef’ then has a couple of days to plan a two course menu for two people (the two of us) using the ingredients in the bag
- The ‘chef’ also gets access to store cupboard ingredients – we’re talking basics like eggs, salt, sugar, flour, couscous, rice & pasta, plus condiments
- On the designated night the chef cooks the meal
- The ‘buyer’ scores the food under the following categories; Use of Ingredients, Ingenuity and Taste.
- The total gets added to the marking tally and the competitiveness starts!
- NB. there won’t be a time limit for the ‘chef’ to cook the meal like there is in the TV show – that would just be mean!
It goes without saying that we will obviously be writing each of these nights up when they happen. At the moment we’re thinking we’ll be able to fit in one round of cooking each person per month, but we’ll see how it goes. I hope you’ll enjoy reading how this goes. Look out for the first bag reveal and recipe post coming soon.